Sam Schildhaus, PhD
Senior Research Leader in Behavioral Health and Quality Research, Analytic Consulting and Research Services
Dr. Schildhaus has more than 30 years of experience in conducting health services research and comparative treatment effectiveness; the last 20 years have been focused on behavioral health.
He has had leadership roles on:
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) Behavioral Health Financing Studies and the Center for Financing Reform and Innovations
- SAMHSA Spending Estimates
- Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project (HCUP) analysis on emergency room use
- Evaluation research studies (Principal Investigator), including: (1) the only nationally representative study to evaluate long-term treatment outcomes for individuals with substance use disorders; (2) longitudinal research to determine predictors of heavy drug use; and (3) evaluation of SAMHSA’s co-occurring performance partnership grants.
- He has published journal articles, policy reports, and other papers; he is an Associate Editor for Substance Use and Misuse and reviews manuscripts for other journals.
Dr. Schildhaus has PhD and BS degrees in political science from The Maxwell School at Syracuse University and the City College of New York, respectively.