David Foster, PhD, MPH
Lead Scientist, Analytic Consulting and Research Services
Dr. Foster is an epidemiologist with 25 years of experience in hospital and clinical epidemiology, study design, advanced analytics, and predictive modeling. He leads the development of risk-adjustment methodologies for adverse inpatient outcomes such as mortality, complications, and readmissions, as well as more general methodologies for assessing quality of care and other measures of hospital performance. Dr. Foster’s primary current activities include:
- Continuing role as chief methodologist (for 20 years) on the 100 Top Hospitals® program
- Designer and developer of predictive or risk-adjustment models, including those incorporating Present on Admission (POA) diagnostic information and anticipated transition to ICD-10
- Provider of support for the development of data resources that are suitable for the representative calibration of various types of predictive models
- Principal internal and external consultant on custom studies involving complex methodologies, data resources, and analytics
- Author of numerous journal articles, presentations at national conferences, and internal/external white papers and other documents.
Dr. Foster has a PhD in epidemiologic science from the University of Michigan, an MPH from the University of Hawaii, and a BA in medical technology from the University of Northern Colorado.